Friday, June 11, 2010

How does a single person choose?

So tonight's date required that I remove some clothing....ay cochinos, get your minds out of the gutter. My creative date (who looked a tad like Buddy Holly--absolutely adorable guy) arranged for us to meet at the airport. He was flying out to see his family in another state. When we met, he handed me a ticket for Denver and we proceeded through security--hence removing my cowgirl boots, and a few other articles. I wasn't really flying to Denver; he had connections to get me in to the innards of an airport--expired passport and all. :)

I just got back from a stoop party, and one of the women there made fun of a date being held at O'Hare, saying she'd never go out with that guy again, but it's the uniqueness of this date that made it so exciting for me. Again, I'm not the girl who's impressed with fancy dinners and movies (I enjoy them both, but I like simple).

While I've been excited about the airport date for over a week, my mother was not too keen. "Hold up, you're meeting a white man at the airport?" C R I C K E T S. Now, if I would have said my date was African American or Latino, she would've thought too much about it, but I think Scott Peterson and that profile of man flashed quickly into her mind. She, in her vivid imagination, imagined me being caught up in the human trafficking ring or cut up and shipped off in boxes. ..or something. I assured her that all of the men who I'm meeting have been highly recommended by friends and colleagues who know me (and them) well.

So I'm 3 for 3 and wondering where all of these great men have been. Women, don't lose hope. Monday's date was an ambitious, incredibly loving single father. Tuesday's date an uncanningly gifted sensitive artist, and today's, a package of laughter, wit, and commitment-phile (REALLY BELIEVES IN AND IS LOOKING FOR COMMITMENT--they do exist). On top of these great qualities, all three of them are very good looking (black, brown and white).

The goal, again, is not to find (I believe in putting forth the effort in "MAKING THE ONE") the "One" necessarily, and even if I don't regularly see any of these men again, my hope is stirred knowing that there are great, mature, funny, creative, artistic, committed, loyal, ambitious, thinking, spiritual, loving men in this world--and if not for me, for some very privileged woman.

Tomorrow is tennis.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Tiff;
    Im a little bit gunshy about posting a comment for fear the whole world will read all about it but nevertheless, here i go. Your blogs, yes I've read all of them so far are absolutely fantastical. I find them heeelarious and oh so en"ta"taining. don't worry I can relax and enjoy them because you know I done covered you with "The Blood Of Jesus". I love the spontaneity of this whole thing. It is extremely creative and adventurous.It is also stepping out in faith. Ilove the idea and can't wait to read the book.---Love Mom xxxooo's

    ReplyDelete